Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Winter just around the corner

Ahhhh, Dunedin. So many memories. Land of students and hills and rain. And snow on Saturday. Pete and I drove down on Friday night for a wedding on Saturday with great plans for a quick ride in the morning. The weather had something to say about that and we woke to snow on the hills and bitterly cold wind and rain blasting through the city. Needless to say both of us were not exactly keen on venturing out into muddy trails in those conditions. It was a little disappointing, but we went to the museum to visit the live butterfly exhibit instead. http://www.otagomuseum.govt.nz/discovery_world_tropical_forest.html
That was amazing. If not for all the screaming children I could have spent the whole day there. I ended up running round like a crazy child myself!

The wedding was wonderful and we had a good time at the reception, even though I didn’t manage to get Pete up on the dance floor. The bride looked stunning and the ceremony was lovely and very moving.

The next day dawned bright and sunny and surprisingly without hangover. After a bit of breakfast we headed into town for a coffee and then out to Green Island to visit my Gran. It was a really lovely visit and then we were on the road, looking forward to trying out new tracks in Timaru. They’ve got a really nice network of tracks in Centennial Park and Pete and I had a great time sifting around, getting lost and riding new stuff. There was so very challenging riding, which I mainly wimped out on, but I also rode some very cool rooty sections which were a bit like riding down stairs (I never ridden that sort of thing before so it was pretty cool).

Unfortunately Pete’s a bit out of action after our ride and I’m having to drive him round which is cutting into my riding to and from work a lot. Oh well, I’m off to the gym soon and will just have to make sure I get a couple of hill rides in this week. Mt Somers is on Sunday and it looks like I’ll be doing that with a cheerleader, rather than a fellow participant, boo.

1 comment:

Muddy Water Jack said...

...abnd now I'm in Singapore.
Luv ya!